Fanny Seward's Description of Ford's Theater
04-03-2014, 08:42 PM
RE: Fanny Seward's Description of Ford's Theater
(04-03-2014 08:31 PM)Cliff Roberts Wrote:  Hi Linda, and many thanks for the very interesting post describing Fanny Seward's tour of Ford's Theater - from a source I'd probably never run across on my own. One thing in particular that caught my attention was this statement:

"Going by a door-way back of the lower boxes, we reached the stage..."

I never knew there was a passage from the main floor of the theater to the backstage area, but in checking the NPS publication "Restoration of Ford's Theatre," sure enough, there it is. It's actually an extension of the entrance passage to the lower boxes on the right side of the theater (No. 3 & 4), directly beneath the presidential boxes, with a door at the opposite end opening into the backstage area, near Peanut John's post at the stage door. There's no such passage on the prompter's side of the stage.

The other thing I noticed was the bracketed comment after Fanny's mention of light streaming in from "a doorway opening on an alley." Based on Fanny's description, I'd guess she was referring to the large sliding door at stage center, and not the smaller door at stage right through which Booth escaped.

Thanks again for the great post!

Hi Cliff, the bracketed comment was from a footnote by Ms. Johnson. Thanks for pointing out that there was also a large sliding door at stage center.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fanny Seward's Description of Ford's Theater - Hess1865 - 04-02-2014, 07:46 PM
RE: Fanny Seward's Description of Ford's Theater - Linda Anderson - 04-03-2014 08:42 PM