Most valuable missing assassination relic
03-26-2014, 06:45 PM
RE: Most valuable missing assassination relic
The now missing field glasses would indeed be interesting but they are after all just glasses and we know why they would have been used and why Booth wanted them.

I would suggest, that for an item to be really valuable it would have to tell us a fact or corroborate previously unsubstantiated information,

Where are the letters Mrs. Surratt wrote to Nothey/ Lewis Weichman said he wrote them for her- surlely they would corroborate her reason for going to the Tavern. Where is the letter Mrs. Surratt wrote to Mr. Brawner on April 14th? What is the possible content? Was it abouot money owed for the boat ? Was it about something else?

A few other relics of interest- the letter to my neighbors Drs. Queen and Mudd, surely it was circumspect but...

What about the false whiskers used at Dr. Sam's house- where are they (if they existed).

The package brought by young Mr. Powell to the Seward residence , what happened to it? Maybe it even had a pharmacy label on it - would not young Davey have made it up as a subterfuge to gain admission?

The scenery from Fords- although long gone- deterioration, souvenier hunters during the Government occupation and the reconstruction of Fords to an office bldg.

One could also wish for the "Book" writtend and later burned by Mr. Surratt, but given his lectures that may have been very self-serving.

We in Charles Co. were supportive of the Late Governement in Richmond, and I for one would like to have been able to read about how Richmond ws involved from the files of Mr. Benjamin and Mr. Tucker, If they were involved it made life difficult for us. but the extent of thier cooporation in the killing of Mr. Lincoln is I fear not going to ever be able to be documanted. they did spend a lot of Gold though - 1 million if memory of Gen. Tidlwells book is correct . As you may have guessed I am not a young man any more and my memory is not what it used to be back then.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Most valuable missing assassination relic - Rhatkinson - 03-20-2014, 07:46 AM
RE: Most valuable missing assassination relic - Rhatkinson - 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
RE: Most valuable missing assassination relic - Francis Farrell - 03-26-2014 06:45 PM