Lincoln assassination postage stamp
02-22-2014, 02:25 PM
RE: Lincoln assassination postage stamp
(02-22-2014 08:51 AM)JMadonna Wrote:  Nice idea Dave but commemorating the assassination with a stamp is a longshot.

Governments frown on murdering the head of state.

I understand it's probably a pipe dream, Jerry. Apparently the committee suggests sending in ideas 3 years before the event's anniversary so that they have enough time to approve, design and complete a stamp. So my recommendation will probably be dismissed anyway since its only a year until the 150th anniversary.

I feel that the passage of time has made us capable of showing and discussing the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in an educational manner. While it's obvious that I find the conspiracy surrounding the assassination fascinating, I also understand that this can be viewed as macabre or even indecent by others. I disagree with those views but I respect that, to some, the assassination of Lincoln is nothing more than a black and white murder. That is why my suggestions for any stamp ideas left out any depictions of John Wilkes Booth or the manhunt. I would not want the stamp to be misinterpreted as an endorsement of the assassin or his crime. However, I do feel that the timing and manner in which Lincoln died has had a profound impact on his lasting legacy. To me, his assassination is as important an event in his life as his many accomplishments. It was a tragic event, yes, but it also helped shape him in the eyes of the American people, north and south. I truly feel it is deserving of far more discussion and respect than what it is currently given.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln assassination postage stamp - Dave Taylor - 02-22-2014 02:25 PM