Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days
01-24-2014, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2014 07:27 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days
(01-23-2014 11:40 AM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  I've spent a good deal of time this morning looking for something I recall reading regarding when Lincoln saw Booth play in The Marble Heart. Like Roger, I remember reading some discussion between researchers that questioned the whole incident of Booth being "sharp" to Lincoln. Though I have not come up with what I originally read, using Eva's clue I consulted American Brutus and here's what Kauffman has to say about it, "Later accounts would mention angry glares and insulting comments, but there was none of that. Booth just slogged through the performance, and made it, in the words of Lincoln's secretary, "more tame than otherwise"....Fanciful accounts were written long after the assassination, but without benefit of contemporary evidence."

Eva,

You can see part of the stage setting for Our American Cousin in this photograph:

http://www.fold3.com/image/269870320/
Dave, thanks for both, the link to the picture and the statement from the book! (Anita, please see post #3 for Mary Clay's entire account!)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days - Eva Elisabeth - 01-24-2014 06:51 AM