Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days
01-23-2014, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2014 11:24 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days
(01-23-2014 12:10 AM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
Quote:That reminds me of another question - who was depicted in the other four pictures in JWB's diary?

Eva,

All the photographs in Booth's possession were of ladies in his life. They were of Lucy Hale and then four actress friends: Alice Grey, Effie Germon, Fannie Brown, and Helen Westen. You can see their pictures here: http://boothiebarn.com/picture-galleries...-on-booth/
Thanks a lot, Dave! (So I assume you don't know of any existing picture of the stage?!)

(01-23-2014 10:14 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 06:29 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  I believe Lincoln asked Booth to meet with him after 'The Marble Heart' but Booth refused. Can anyone confirm?

Jerry, I have seen this in a few books, but I am not sure I've ever seen an actual citation. For example, in Lincoln's Sanctuary, author Matthew Pinsker writes, "The president reportedly enjoyed the play so much that he sent a note backstage offering an interview with the leading performer, who ducked the request because he was a Rebel sympathizer, and perhaps a Confederate agent." But there is no footnote for this sentence. The only Pinskter footnote for that particular evening goes to John Hay's diary. I checked Hay's diary for November 9, 1863, and it says, "Spent the evening at the theater with President, Mrs. L., Mrs. Hunter, Cameron, and Nicolay. J Wilkes Booth was doing The Marble Heart. Rather tame than otherwise." Nothing at all is said about Lincoln sending a note to Booth. So I don't know what Pinsker's source is.
I've read about that, too, but don't recall where. On the internet I found a reference to Michael W. Kauffman's "American Brutus: John Wilkes Booth and the Lincoln Conspiracies", p. 125 which is definitely not where I read it as I don't have that book. But I think several forum members do have a copy, and I, too, would be interested in learning the original source. Thus it would be very kind if someone could check Mr. Kauffman's book on that!

Another book I found is this one:
http://books.google.de/books?id=k_Co6TgB...QQ6AEwAzgK
The source refered to is: Joseph George, Jr.,: "The night John Wilkes Booth played before Abraham Lincoln" Lincoln Herold 59 no 2 (summer 1957) - still not a contemporary source!

Also I read on a website that Tad, after another performance, gave JWB a rose. Does anyone know more? Is there's any reliable source for that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days - Eva Elisabeth - 01-23-2014 10:24 AM