Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days
01-23-2014, 10:14 AM
RE: Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days
(01-22-2014 06:29 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  I believe Lincoln asked Booth to meet with him after 'The Marble Heart' but Booth refused. Can anyone confirm?

Jerry, I have seen this in a few books, but I am not sure I've ever seen an actual citation. For example, in Lincoln's Sanctuary, author Matthew Pinsker writes, "The president reportedly enjoyed the play so much that he sent a note backstage offering an interview with the leading performer, who ducked the request because he was a Rebel sympathizer, and perhaps a Confederate agent." But there is no footnote for this sentence. The only Pinskter footnote for that particular evening goes to John Hay's diary. I checked Hay's diary for November 9, 1863, and it says, "Spent the evening at the theater with President, Mrs. L., Mrs. Hunter, Cameron, and Nicolay. J Wilkes Booth was doing The Marble Heart. Rather tame than otherwise." Nothing at all is said about Lincoln sending a note to Booth. So I don't know where Pinsker found this, but I'd love to see an original source.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln and the theater, and theater in Lincoln's days - RJNorton - 01-23-2014 10:14 AM