Grave of James Rutledge, father of Ann
10-30-2015, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 08:34 AM by davg2000.)
RE: Grave of James Rutledge, father of Ann
(10-30-2015 05:45 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(10-29-2015 10:28 AM)davg2000 Wrote:  I grew up in central Illinois believing that Lincoln loved Ann Rutledge

I grew up in northern Illinois believing the exact same thing.

(10-29-2015 10:28 AM)davg2000 Wrote:  I once asked Tom Schwartz what he thought. He said that he didn't believe that Lincoln had the time to pursue a deep relationship with Ann. Dr. Schwartz said that in 1834 and 35 Lincoln was too busy in the Illinois State Legislature, which met in Vandalia, a long way from New Salem.

Hi Dave. I hate to disagree with Tom Schwartz (he's an ex-student of mine), but my recollection (hopefully right) is that the meetings of the Illinois state legislature in Vandalia only lasted for about 3 months of the year. That leaves 9 months to pursue his relationship with Ann.

Hi, Roger--
At the time Tom told me this, I knew little about Herndon's views and even less about the views of historians such as Randall, who disbelieved that Lincoln loved Ann. At ALPM, which Tom is responsible for as much as anyone, the traditional view--and not the "myth"-- is tacitly accepted. In the "Lincoln's Eyes" film, although the narrator mentions that "scholars disagree" about the truth of the love affair, the film does clearly suggest that Lincoln truly loved Ann. That phrase can mean that most/many historians disagree with the traditional view or that historians disagree with one another about the love affair. The film also clearly states that Lincoln and Mary had a good marriage.

No way we'll ever know, but the traditional view is now back in.

(10-30-2015 08:09 AM)davg2000 Wrote:  
(10-30-2015 05:45 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(10-29-2015 10:28 AM)davg2000 Wrote:  I grew up in central Illinois believing that Lincoln loved Ann Rutledge

I grew up in northern Illinois believing the exact same thing.

(10-29-2015 10:28 AM)davg2000 Wrote:  I once asked Tom Schwartz what he thought. He said that he didn't believe that Lincoln had the time to pursue a deep relationship with Ann. Dr. Schwartz said that in 1834 and 35 Lincoln was too busy in the Illinois State Legislature, which met in Vandalia, a long way from New Salem.

Hi Dave. I hate to disagree with Tom Schwartz (he's an ex-student of mine), but my recollection (hopefully right) is that the meetings of the Illinois state legislature in Vandalia only lasted for about 3 months of the year. That leaves 9 months to pursue his relationship with Ann.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Grave of James Rutledge, father of Ann - davg2000 - 10-30-2015 08:09 AM