Political caucus right after assassination
12-17-2013, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 02:03 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Political caucus right after assassination
Angela, the sources are George W. Julian, "Political recollections, 1840 to 1872 (Chicago: Jansen, McClurg,1884), 255, and "George W. Julian's Journal - The Assassination of A. L.", Indiana Magazine of History II (1915): 335.

Here is one respective page from Burlingame's book (I'm afraid, it doesn't explicitly list who else was involved in the caucus):
http://books.google.de/books?id=UrCBLHGy...CCcQ6AEwAQ

One clergyman quoted on the next page is Henry Ward Beecher (Uncle Tom's Cabin- author Harriet Beecher Stowe's brother). "Johnson's little finger was stronger than Lincoln's lions" (he said shortly after L.'s death).

Burlingame's two volumes are a good source for finding sources! You can download the first volume (with enlarged footnotes compared to the printed edition) as free pdf here:
http://www.knox.edu/academics/distinctiv...-life.html

Donald's "Lincoln Reconsidered" quotes another representative, J.M. Ashley: "The decease of Mr. L. is a great national bereavment, but I'm not sure if it is so much of a national loss." If you don't have this book I recommend it. There you'll find more on Lincoln and the radicals an on the aftermath of the assassination in various fields (politics, society, culture etc.).

Ashley later initiated impeachment proceedings against President Andrew Johnson. He was also the one who inroduced the first bill for a constitutional amendment abolishing slavery, and cooperated with Lincoln on the 13th Ammendment.

Angela, I also seem to recall Jörg Nagler wrote on the topic in an essay, I just can't find it right now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political caucus right after assassination - Eva Elisabeth - 12-17-2013 07:14 PM