Headley, and the picture of Sarah
12-09-2013, 12:37 AM
RE: Headley, and the picture of Sarah
(12-06-2013 10:16 AM)L Verge Wrote:  John - First, I want to thank Cliff for enhancing the photo. That's the best rendition of it that I have seen. Unfortunately, however, that dress bodice just smacks of the 1860s to me. Even the bow around the neckline was popular then, but usually more of a bow tie that fit with a round, lower neckline. The only reservation I have is the height of the neckline itself. During the 1850s and 60s, that part of the bodice was usually lower and rounded. The 1890s did feature higher necklines.

As for the hairdo and facial features: I think the hair could pass as a convenient style for ladies of several 19th-century decades, so I will ignore it. She definitely looks older than 22 in this photo, but this lady appears to have an olive complexion, which would be natural for her French background -- also, isn't there a connection with her to a Caribbean island or something? The darker complexion might make her appear older to us.

It isn't gonna be me that makes the final call on this, but it is probably as close as we will ever get to knowing what Sarah looked like.
Laurie. Joseph Maria Gilbert, born St. Pierre, Martinique,West Indies. Antoinette Raynaud, born Port of Spain, Trinidad, W.I.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Headley, and the picture of Sarah - SSlater - 12-09-2013 12:37 AM