Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination
02-03-2014, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 10:08 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination
Bill, good question. Although his behavior, means and actions are the same used for bullying, the purpose seems to me a decisive difference.

This is how bullying is defined (on Wikipedia):
"Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively impose domination over others. The behavior is often repeated and habitual. One essential prerequisite is the perception, by the bully or by others, of an imbalance of social or physical power."

I read that 15 states have defined bullying among school children in their state laws (we don't have anywhere). Colorado's state law e.g. defines bullying among school children as “any written or verbal expression,or physical act or gesture,or a pattern thereof,that is intended to cause distress upon one or more students."

I think the decisive point is the paramount purpose of making others "go along with his plans/demands", his purpose is not solely to "demonstrate power" or "cause others distress" (possibly a by-purpose though). As I understand it, bullying mostly lacks other purposes than the latter ones. Thus Booth's behavior wouldn't match the definition of "bullying".

My question (that arose while thinking about Bill's): Did JWB have "real" friends/intimates, or was he rather a "lone wolf"?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination - Eva Elisabeth - 02-03-2014 10:05 AM
RE: Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination - Hess1865 - 10-25-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination - Hess1865 - 11-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Congrats again - Matt Macoubrie - 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination - Rhatkinson - 10-08-2014, 03:38 PM