What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing?
06-10-2014, 09:05 AM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing?
This is sure trivia, but I can't help it - I love trivia. Also I find hoaxes interesting and why/ how they came up.
Many websites claim to know A. L.'s favorite food/dish, and I frequently read "fricasseed chicken" without any proof/source given. Recently I came across this, and although there is a footnote reference in the text (6), I can't find it below (or I'm not sufficiently skilled...)

Does anyone know where Mary's + Tad's quotes are from? (Maybe someone thought that if a person once takes three help(ing?)s this must automatically be the one's favorite dish...)

"Alice Johnstone was a cook and domestic whom the Lincolns employed because she desperately needed a job. She was also employed in Mrs. Lincoln's schemes to get the President to eat. 'Alice, do you know how to make a dish of fricasseed chicken and small biscuits with thick cream gravy poured over it, all on one platter?' asked Mrs. Lincoln. Alice's meal was served in the family dining room. It appealed sufficiently to the presidential appetite that Tad exclaimed: 'Oh, Alice, he ate three helps and more gravy than you and me and mother could.'"

http://www.mrlincolnswhitehouse.org/insi...ubjectID=2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Hess1865 - 09-01-2012, 10:06 PM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Hess1865 - 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Hess1865 - 03-09-2013, 09:37 AM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Hess1865 - 08-17-2013, 12:11 AM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-10-2014 09:05 AM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Hess1865 - 10-09-2014, 07:41 PM