What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing?
06-13-2013, 06:40 PM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing?
(06-13-2013 06:13 PM)Liz Rosenthal Wrote:  I believe that Lincoln's favorite Shakespeare play was MacBeth.

I don't think Lincoln was an equine enthusiast. He certainly relied on horseback riding to get where he needed to go, although so did everyone else, unless they were able to buy a carriage.

His recreational activities as an older man included handball, "town ball" (precursor to baseball), and a variety of fun games of the time (can't remember what they were called, although one involved pitching pebbles while walking forward).

As a young man he really enjoyed competitive sports - wrestling, weightlifting (i.e., lifting large, heavy objects; I assume barbells were not common on the frontier), running, jumping, etc. As we've observed before, he was a gifted athlete.

Lincoln did love and care about animals, as Eva said, but he seemed to have a special affinity for cats.

In general, he had his favorite Shakespeare plays, poetry and humorous writings and enjoyed either reciting excerpts from them from memory or reading them to friends and colleagues.

And let's not forget how much he loved to tell stories!

Thanks Liz. I can see his attraction to Macbeth.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Hess1865 - 09-01-2012, 10:06 PM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Hess1865 - 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Hess1865 - 03-09-2013, 09:37 AM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - brtmchl - 06-13-2013 06:40 PM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Hess1865 - 08-17-2013, 12:11 AM
RE: What did Mr. Lincoln enjoy doing? - Hess1865 - 10-09-2014, 07:41 PM