Did Lincoln not want to attend the theater that night?
01-27-2013, 03:37 PM
RE: Did Lincoln not want to attend the theater that night?
(01-27-2013 10:43 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Dr. Todd's account of Booth's movements through the theater that night was the most detailed. Does any family lore add anything to his statement?

I only have the letters that my Todd cousin sent to me, and he passed away this past year, so if there was any more info. I can't share it. The one tradition that seems to have been passed down through two legs of the Todd family (Dr. Todd's AND his wife's) was that he was at least present at Booth's autopsy. He was Past Asst. Surgeon on board the Montauk, the iron clad onto which Booth's body was taken. It would make sense that he was at least in the room, but I've found no evidence that he participated in the actual autopsy. He did mention being a "detective" in the letter to his brother in the time following the assassination.

I think the history lovers here might appreciate my exceitement this morning because I was contacted by an antiquarian book seller who has an 1850 1st edition medical (text?)book that Dr. Todd signed on the first page along with his hometown of Fayetteville, NY. I'm expecting to receive it in a few days. How great is that?!!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Lincoln not want to attend the theater that night? - Dr. Todd Descendant - 01-27-2013 03:37 PM