Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
11-12-2013, 07:13 PM
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
To my knowledge, there is no documentation or evidence that Lincoln regretted his marriage to Mary. He spoiled her, comforted her, and showered her with gifts both in Springfield and in Washington. Did they have arguments? Yes, they did. They they agree on everything? No, they did not.
I think one of the strongest pieces of evidence there is to say that Lincoln had no regrets is that he never divorced her. As an attorney, he most certainly could have. Divorce may have been rare in the 19th century, but it was not uncommon in the Todd family. Two of Mary's brothers divorced. If at any moment, Lincoln had decided to leave Mary, develop a wondering eye, or divorce his wife, the Todds would have surrounded Mary and given her all of the support, comfort, legal aid (she had many lawyers in her family) that she would have needed. She had her own financial support.
I have always viewed the Lincolns as a couple who managed to find one another despite their differences. They were a couple who managed to love one another against the odds. They maintained a marriage during the most stressful times.
Plus, I just can not imagine Mary choosing to wear black mourning attire for the last 17 years of her life if there had been any doubt of Lincoln's deep and committed love for her.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Gene C - 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Donna McCreary - 11-12-2013 07:13 PM