Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest?
11-14-2013, 12:12 PM
RE: Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest?
(11-14-2013 10:21 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Most books that I have read on the assassination credit Lucy Lambert Hale with being a very intelligent, witty, well-read conversationalist with a personality that attracted more than just Booth -- others such as Robert Lincoln and John Hay enjoyed her company. I suspect that Miss Lucy could hold her own with Booth.

Dr. Blaine Houmes wrote an excellent article on the Robert Lincoln/Lucy Hale relationship which was published in Manuscripts in 2007 (Vol. 59, No. 1). The article is entitled "Lincoln & Booth: A Love Story?" Robert sent Lucy flowers from the White House gardens plus other gifts including a book. Blaine concludes the relationship was probably nothing more than a friendship. As Laurie noted, other men had an interest in Lucy including Oliver Wendell Holmes and John Hay. However, I have not seen the evidence of the story that Robert, John Hay, and Lucy were studying Spanish together at the White House on the afternoon of the assassination. I do not know if Blaine's article is online or not.

Wikipedia says, "On the afternoon of April 14, Lucy allegedly spent the afternoon studying Spanish with Robert Lincoln, and another former admirer, John Hay, President Lincoln's assistant private secretary." There is no footnote for the statement.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest? - RJNorton - 11-14-2013 12:12 PM