Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest?
09-23-2013, 02:33 PM
RE: Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest?
(09-22-2013 07:38 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I was just going to post that, Joe. I believe it was in either June, July, or August, and it was written by a Surratt Society member by the name of Scott Schroeder, whom I met for the first time at our conference last March. Scott is descended through the Matthews family.

Also, I know that the movie The Conspirator showed Anna going behind a chest at the boardinghouse to find a ledger to give to Aiken. However, while it is likely that one existed, I have never seen reference to it specifically. The tavern account records are in the National Archives, and our museum has bits and pieces out of those; but I do not remember anyone (even James O. Hall) mentioning the boardinghouse ledger.

If Mrs. Surratt were in on the plots, like I think she was, I doubt that she would keep any written records on Confederate "friends" who stopped over for the night, etc. Her paying customers were Weichmann, the Holohans, Nora Fitzpatrick, and the ten-year-old girl whose name I absolutely cannot remember right now... Got it! Apollonia Dean!

1. I became a lifetime member of the Serratt Society effective with the Sept. 2013 issue. Do they sell back issues? I'd like to read about Matthews.

2. The movie is where I saw the ledger! You pulled up Apollonia's name pretty quickly!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest? - Anita - 09-23-2013 02:33 PM