Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest?
09-22-2013, 07:16 PM
RE: Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest?
(09-15-2013 04:34 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Anita, the only time I have come across Warwick's name was in connection with that story he told; I have never seen his name mentioned in connection to the assassination, so I don't think he was arrested. I am not sure about John Mathews - maybe someone else will know. I know Mathews feared arrest and being charged with complicity, so he burned the letter Booth gave him. He was in the cast for Our American Cousin. I once read the entire cast was arrested; but I've also read the cast was arrested with the exceptions of Laura Keene and William J. Ferguson. However, I don't recall specifically reading that Mathews was ever arrested, so I am not sure on this. Good question, Anita.
Since your post I have been searching for info related to Matthews and have come up with little except his testimony for the trial. Where was he born, who were his friends, where was he prior to "Our American Cousin", for example. I also can't find a ledger for the tenants who lived at the Petersen House during the war years. I believe there was a register for the Serratt House but was it a true account of who stayed there? I'm also curious about the hotel register for the National. Were all of these cross-checked by the cast of suspects?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest? - Anita - 09-22-2013 07:16 PM