Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest?
09-22-2013, 03:49 PM
RE: Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest?
I think most of us agree by now that Mary Surratt had to know that something was going on, but please remember that something had been going on under both of her roofs (Surrattsville and H Street) throughout the war with Confederate couriers, sympathizers, and who knows who else coming and going on Confederate business. That was standard operating business from even before the war with secession fever drawing folks into Surratt Tavern to argue the issues.

I think her son's involvement was a vital part of her involvement. I think she was sucked in via the idea of supporting him and protecting him -- and perhaps doing something that would help in getting her other Confederate son home alive.

As for the star-struck widow taken in by the womanizing actor, I think that's a bunch of bologna/baloney. It was Anna and the younger ladies who were star-struck, and Anna was the one who had the hidden photo of Booth. However, I do believe that Booth's polished ways could impress Mary Surratt with the idea that her children were "moving up in the world" with such friends. Mary had been well-educated in a Catholic girls' school and so had her daughter. I have always felt that she wanted more out of life than to be married to a drunk and stuck in a country tavern. Anna was of a marriageable age, and I believe that her beau from before had been killed in the war. Booth was just the right age for Anna.

And then, I think it reached the point of no return for Mary Surratt. She and her son were in too deep and no way was Booth going to back out of his plans. She could have slammed the door in his face, but the attempts against Lincoln were going to proceed and somehow the finger of guilt would end up pointing back to H Street and Surrattsville.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest? - L Verge - 09-22-2013 03:49 PM