Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest?
09-05-2013, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 08:27 PM by Anita.)
RE: Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest?
(09-04-2013 09:48 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Anita, Lew Wallace, who was a member of the military tribunal in the trial of the conspirators, drew those pictures. If you go to the link you provided, just click on a picture and it will give you the details.

I think Wallace drew the sketches during the trial itself.

Thanks Linda. I didn't know who Wallace was so I did some reading. They are indeed his own courtroom sketches. I found an article By John Swansburg|Posted Tuesday, March 26, 2013, at 5:29 AM http://tinyurl.com/mjalcjh

"Lew Wallace lived an exceptional life: He was a Civil War general, a war crimes judge, a Wild West lawman, a diplomat, and one of the best-selling novelists in American history. He also fancied himself a painter. Below are a selection of artifacts from his life, including the drawing Winslow Homer made of him after his early Civil War success, a letter he received from Billy the Kid during his stint as governor of New Mexico, a painting he made of the Lincoln assassination conspirators (based on his own courtroom sketches), and a couple of pages from the original manuscript of Ben-Hur, which Wallace wrote in purple. The pages are taken from the novel’s famous chariot race."

What a talented and accomplished man of his time in spite of his military disgrace at Shiloh.

(09-05-2013 08:12 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 12:01 PM)Anita Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 09:36 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 09:03 AM)brtmchl Wrote:  I would imagine that once they decided that Mary was involved and put her on trial, as a prime suspect, the demand for a photograph would have been high.

Right on, Mike. Even fake pictures of her were sold to a gullible public.

[Image: unnamedfemalelady1.jpg]
Bogus Mary Surratt

SOURCE: p. 66 of Ed Steers' The Escape and Capture of John Wilkes Booth

Oh my. I wonder who the woman in this photo really is.

Barry, I appreciate your comprehensive reply to my question. I see there are many issues that come into play here.

Thanks to all who have posted on this topic. So much great information. I have much to learn. I'd appreciate recommendations for books that provide a good foundation on what happened after the conspirators were caught and the trial.
The NPS identifies the woman as Anna Petersen.

(09-03-2013 12:01 PM)Anita Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 09:36 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 09:03 AM)brtmchl Wrote:  I would imagine that once they decided that Mary was involved and put her on trial, as a prime suspect, the demand for a photograph would have been high.

Right on, Mike. Even fake pictures of her were sold to a gullible public.

[Image: unnamedfemalelady1.jpg]
Bogus Mary Surratt

SOURCE: p. 66 of Ed Steers' The Escape and Capture of John Wilkes Booth

Oh my. I wonder who the woman in this photo really is.

Barry, I appreciate your comprehensive reply to my question. I see there are many issues that come into play here.

Thanks to all who have posted on this topic. So much great information. I have much to learn. I'd appreciate recommendations for books that provide a good foundation on what happened after the conspirators were caught and the trial.
The NPS identifies the woman as Anna Petersen.

Roger, Honest mistake? They got the wrong boarding house!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why was Mary Surratt not photographed after her arrest? - Anita - 09-05-2013 08:19 PM