In Mary's personal letters....
08-04-2014, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 03:39 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: In Mary's personal letters....
[As for the birth control and the (by some, like Tripp) suspected abstinence thentheforth it would be interesting to know whether Mary and A. L. also (despite the connection to nursing) knew about ovulation and conception.] quote

Eva...I will need to grab my copy of Jean Baker's bio but she says in mid-19th century America there was an increased awareness for American women regarding birth control. There were lots of discreet magazines and periodicals directed toward middle class women that discussed taboo subjects like birth control. The Lincolns, being the well read progressive couple they were, would certainly have known about them.

Roger, like you I am baffled and amused by people who assume to know on authority that their "intimacy suffered". Mary's intimates like Elizabeth Blair and Lizzie Keckly felt otherwise. As previously stated they were seen sharing a bed on more than one occasion during their WH years. Even at the end of her life, in a state of illness and confusion, Mary insisted that one side of her bed was "the President's side".

Certainly they were under great tension and stress during those years, but the leap to a complete lack of intimacy is a big one, imo.

I have no (printable) comment on A.C. Tripp's speculations.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
In Mary's personal letters.... - eperon - 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM
RE: In Mary's personal letters.... - LincolnToddFan - 08-04-2014 12:48 PM
RE: In Mary's personal letters.... - Anita - 09-24-2017, 05:35 PM