President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
09-23-2014, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 10:11 PM by Gene C.)
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
I believe Lincoln had a strong faith. Eva mentioned his farewell address in Springfield made before the war breaks out.
Here is the entire address, it's short.
http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/linc...rewell.htm

He was raised with a conservative Baptist background. He knew and understood the scriptures. If you examine
his actions and how he treats others, from boyhood to New Salem, from Springfield to Washington, for the most part he treats others with the characteristics and actions we generally attribute to religious, God fearing men. He's not perfect so he made mistakes. If you've heard the saying, "I would rather see a sermon than hear one", that's Lincoln's behavior. He isn't caught up in the outward appearance of being religious, but (and some will disagree with me here) his actions show a genuine concern for others, - love your neighbor as yourself.

Throughout his life his faith in God is challenged, and probably waivered at some point. He really struggled with Willie's death. The promise of life after death becomes extremely important to him, and there is only one being who can keep that promise. God is his only hope, and because of Lincoln's great love for his son that promise has a greater and more personal importance, it now means more to him than it ever did before. Mary is caught up in her grief, Abraham turns to God's promise of life after death.

That's about as simple and short as I can make it. Remember Lincoln's treatment of others, even as a young man, and the statements he makes in regards to God. IMO that is evidence of his long term faith. I believe Herndon and Ward Hill Lamon are a key source regarding Lincoln's lack of faith or belief in God. For whatever reason they promote that view, I think they got that wrong. Herndon certainly misjudged Mary and the Lincoln's marriage.

I know I left out a lot, there are some good books, and some bad ones, that can add more information.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862 - Gene C - 09-23-2014 09:33 PM
Lincoln and the Dakotas - L Verge - 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM