Mary Lincoln's presence at Abraham's death-bed
09-21-2014, 08:13 PM
RE: Mary Lincoln's presence at Abraham's death-bed
The other day, some of my friends were discussing things from our childhood (the 50s mainly). What ever happened to medicines like mercurichrome, merthiolate, castoria, gentian violet? I know I probably spelled them all wrong because I was dosed with them before I learned to spell! And, I bet Spellcheck doesn't even know what they are.

I especially remember the last one because I came down with impetigo when I was about three, and my dad was stationed at Miami Beach right after the war. If I remember correctly impetigo was caused by sand mites biting people, and gentian violet eased the sore that developed. I had purple polka-dots on me for weeks!

Then we had chiggers that only responded to Clorox or kerosene (don't light a match around me!), and Clorox or calomine lotion could stop poison ivy itching. Adolph's meat tenderizer worked wonders on bee stings. After I stepped in a yellow jackets' nest when I was eight, I should have the tenderest skin in town to this day. A baking soda paste also helped.

Smith Bros. cough drops or horehound candies were necessary for fighting colds and sore throats. My mother's finest remedy for a bad cold or flu was a swig of brandy followed by a glass of HOT lemonade. It's amazing that I did not become an alcoholic or drug addict!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Lincoln's presence at Abraham's death-bed - L Verge - 09-21-2014 08:13 PM