Mary Lincoln's presence at Abraham's death-bed
09-01-2013, 05:33 PM
RE: Mary Lincoln's presence at Abraham's death-bed
This is my first post...so many thanks to those who have posted before me and provided many hours of great reading into arguably the most significant event in American History.
Concerning the forced absence of Mary Todd Lincoln from the room where her husband lay dying, I think it is important to remember that Edwin Stanton, while staying with the dying President, was also consumed with conducting an investigation involving the attack on the leadership of the United States government.
While at the Petersen House he was attempting to both gain information as to the assassination conspiracy, hasten the capture of those involved, and provide protection for the leadership of the government. Therefore, the emotional outbursts of Mary Todd Lincoln would be a difficult frustration for Stanton and would have added to the tension of an already difficult 9 1/2 hours. From my perspective, he did his best.. and one might say he was the first Alexander Haig in American history...he was "in charge," although not at the White House.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Lincoln's presence at Abraham's death-bed - Steve Holley - 09-01-2013 05:33 PM