"Shockingly Realistic Sculpture Portrays Abraham Lincoln"
08-02-2013, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 07:27 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: "Shockingly Realistic Sculpture Portrays Abraham Lincoln"
(08-01-2013 02:34 PM)Liz Rosenthal Wrote:  It seems to me, also, that, with all the contemporaries who were eager to point out how "ugly" Lincoln was (an opinion with which I disagree), or the oddness of his body or gait, they would have jumped on any opportunity to write about his teeth if they were unsightly.
Liz, (I agree in disagreeing, although I disagree with Grace Bedell) - imagine what people would say today? Ragrading height and weight he conforms more to the current "ideal of beauty" (or hamdsomeness") than to that of his days....

I wonder when he bought his first toothbrush or better: who taught him oral hygiene. It's good to know he also used soap whereas (just a few years earlier) Napoleon advised his Josephine:"Home in three days - don't wash".

BTW, who originally reported the "ax story" at City Point in 1865 (when Lincoln demonstrated the strenght of his muscles by holding an ax horizontally longer than some soldiers were able to do)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Shockingly Realistic Sculpture Portrays Abraham Lincoln" - Eva Elisabeth - 08-02-2013 07:20 AM