Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
06-07-2013, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 12:20 PM by Laurie Verge.)
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
I agree with Rick. I think we are misinterpreting the Victorian verbage of Col. Broun (and I again preach that we need to immerse ourselves in the social, cultural, religious, and political feelings of the era in which we are interested). I suspect that the "offending" word here is SUPERIORITY. If so, the Colonel intended it to mean that Lee rose above the prevailing attitudes of those in the congregation (and the South in general) and proved himself superior to the others who obviously watched in disdain.

Named Kate: In response to your previous questions on this thread concerning racial issues - IMO, we have not understood human nature for a thousand years; we tend to forget that slavery was not always a black/white issue (whites held whites, blacks held blacks, etc.); and that it is not a system confined only to the history of the U.S.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it requires years and years of reading as well as what I stated above about immersing ourselves in all areas of any period in history to even get started on understanding man's injustice to man. There are certainly areas in the world today that are much deeper into present-day slavery and inequality than the U.S. ever was/is. Too bad we can't all solve our problems and move on. Anyone have a magic wand?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Laurie Verge - 06-07-2013 11:55 AM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM