Is there a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books for our library?
06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
RE: Is there a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books for our library?
(05-27-2013 01:15 PM)Gene C Wrote:  
(05-27-2013 09:38 AM)william l. richter Wrote:  After writing 4 volumes in three titles based on the Come Retribution thesis, I must confess that I agree with your unnamed esteemed historian. One needs but to study the Radical Republicans and Stanton's own lack of character to get a gut reaction that he was behind it. One day I looked at all my work and said loud to myself, "this is all BS, Stanton did it." I have believed that since 1960 despite all the evidence that point other ways.

I disagree Bill. While Stanton may have had his minor faults, I think he admired Lincoln to much (in spite of disagreeing with him) to take the drastic step of conspiring to kill Lincoln. If he was going to want anyone out of the way, it would have been McClellan. Of coarse most of what I know about Stanton is from Benjamin Thomas

Me again Bill. IMO Stanton was satisfied in the position he held. In reality, he ran the government to his satisfaction. Why get rid of Lincoln? Stanton was not in line to succeed Lincoln, maybe someone would get the presidency, that he could not control. Rather than admire Lincoln, I think he tolerated Lincoln. We have cases where he absolutely defied Lincoln and was never punished. he countermanded direct orders, He disobeyed direct orders (He did not "let the elephant run".) He even took over the government when Lincoln was disabled. He ran the Army, he "owned" the Generals. If we know these faults, you know there had to be more, that we don't know about. Stanton did not kill Lincoln. (I will hedge my bet. If Stanton did kill Lincoln, he expected to "appoint" the successor - who he controlled>)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is there a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books for our library? - SSlater - 06-12-2013 12:30 PM