Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
05-29-2013, 02:25 PM
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
scldrnfly - Post 12. I don't see an increase in "Assassination- related" people moving into the Chotank/ Edge Hill area after the war. They were here all the time. Stuart, Quesenberry, Bryant, Mason, Arnold, Grymes, McDaniel, Crismond, and more. (One is missing ;Cawood). Most of these people have descendants still here, living in the same houses. (Only - different names). The originals are still here - in graveyards. A little story. I found references to 1860 family letters, in my research. So. I called on the family, and sure enough, they once had those letters, but they gave them the The State Historical Society. I went to Richmond, to search there, but "The letters are not filed and indexed" so they are not available. I asked when they might be available - the answer was "not in your lifetime." Thus, there exists much local history, on Booth's passage through this county, that some pip-squeek will read "for the first time", sometime in their lifetime.
Some personal letters are available in the Historical Society in Montross, Westmorelad County, VA. that I have seen. They describe Walter Bowie's stop at the Cawood camp, when he was on his way to "Kidnap the Governor of Maryland". From those letters, I determined that Cawood ran his "Camp", the same as Mosby did. That is - he had no basic camp - he put "visitors" into the homes of cooperative neighbors. One more item on Chotank/Edge Hill. After the war the POST OFFICES changed. For example the Hampstead, P.O. closed, as did Edge Hill and new ones opened. (That was done to add to the confusion)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - John Stanton - 05-29-2013 02:25 PM