Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris?
05-21-2013, 05:10 AM
RE: Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris?
Heath, I do not know if they were picked up or not. I think John's research is remarkable, and I now lean in his direction, but I don't know with any degree of certainty. But, for the sake of controversy, I'll make a few comments about Clara's memory. If I am reading Clara's entire statement correctly (p. 69-71 of Tim Good's book) she implies that Lincoln's speech was the night before the murder. Am I interpreting that correctly? If so, this is wrong. Lincoln's speech was 3 days before the murder. Also, Joe Beckert found that Clara had made a statement that Booth had "scouted" the State Box one hour prior to the murder at Ford's. As far as I know, she was the only one who said this happened. You would think, if it really happened as she said, others in the theater would have seen it. Finally, Clara made a statement about Laura Keene not being in the box after the shot was fired. This is in contrast to other folks who said Keene was in the box.

So, my question is - how reliable a witness is Clara Harris?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris? - Rhatkinson - 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM
RE: Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris? - RJNorton - 05-21-2013 05:10 AM
RE: Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris? - Rhatkinson - 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM
RE: Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris? - Rhatkinson - 05-21-2013, 08:34 PM