Ford's picture
04-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Ford's picture
Attached is a print that I just made including the Brady picture of the Presidential Box at Ford's after the assassination along with the same view that Eric of the NPS at Ford's was kind enough to let me go into the former family circle and take during last week's Surratt Tour. The text is from Lincoln's speech at Independence Hall on February 22, 1861 and is condensed to say:

It was that sentiment in the Declaration of Independence which gave promise that in due time the weight would be lifted from the shoulders of all men. Now, my friends, can this country be saved upon that basis? If it can, I will consider myself one of the happiest men in the world if I can help to save it. If it can't be saved upon that principle, it will be truly awful. But, if this country cannot be saved without giving up that principle--- I would rather be assassinated on this spot than to surrender it.

I was looking for the actual document of the speech in Lincoln's hand, but it sadly seems that this does not exist (the text comes from newspaper accounts.) What I WAS able to find was this great font created by someone where you can type text and have it transformed into Lincoln's handwriting. It works great and just gets added to the fonts already in you email or texting programs.

Finally, if you are interested in getting one of these prints, I will be happy to make them for cost as time permits (I've actually gotten pretty good at beveling mat board!) I enjoy making them and made another one yesterday that includes the last portion of Lincoln's 2nd Innaugural Address along with the famous picture of that and one I took from the exact spot at the Capitol last weekend. I gave that one to my brother.

I think the frame and pictures cost me about $30. I'd be happy to make one for anyone that would like one.

Heath
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Ford's picture - Rhatkinson - 04-26-2013 04:31 PM
RE: Ford's picture - Eva Elisabeth - 04-26-2013, 05:35 PM
RE: Ford's picture - L Verge - 04-26-2013, 06:33 PM
RE: Ford's picture - RJNorton - 04-27-2013, 09:55 AM
RE: Ford's picture - Jim Garrett - 05-03-2013, 05:44 PM
RE: Ford's picture - L Verge - 05-03-2013, 06:52 PM
RE: Ford's picture - Rhatkinson - 05-03-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: Ford's picture - RJNorton - 05-04-2013, 06:15 AM