John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
04-03-2013, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 03:58 PM by scldrgnfly.)
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
Although the image under discussion was in the published work, I thought there might have been others using the same format that may have come out before or during the tribunal.

John Jr.'s omission does seem interesting, of course, he hadn't been captured or convicted, but you would think they would want people to be on the lookout for him.

Has this been considered, because it still bothers me? Could John Jr. have been protected at all costs because of the scope of the information, contacts and plans of the Confederate Secret Service? He might have had to divulge much more than the conspiracy details, especially since the kidnapping conspiracy escalated to assassination? Is that why he was conveniently sent to Canada, to remove him from the maelstrom about to hit?

Or, could John Jr.'s removal precipitate the escalation and the seeming addition to Herold's job description of that of clue planter?
"
Also, I just reread John M. Lloyd's testimony and he said they said they were pretty sure of assassinating Lincoln and Seward was Atzerodt's failure considered a "fete a complet," since they didn't even mention Johnson's attempt and the fact that Herold didn't even stick around for moral support(which he sort of did with Powell). When you consider George Atzerodt's poor reputation for valor, it might make sense, in addition to the fact (?) that McPhail, George's brother-in-law and his brother, John C. went to see him personally, because they wanted to see what trouble he'd gotten himself into, as if he was someone that needed taking care of.

Also, checking for a picture of John C. Atzerodt, but did anyone know he probably went back to carriage repair, etc. I forget which City Register I found it in right now, but in the years after the war a Charles Atzerodt was in that business in DC. I didn't realize John Atzerodt's middle initial was C. till I saw the Port Tobacco advertisement for their carriage building and repair shop there from before the war.

Still working on whether John had inklings about G.'s involvement, but their closeness, the proximity of the tavern and the seemingly common practice of having a day job as a conscriptee for the Union and at night working for the cause they loved. It would be really interesting to find out how many deserters John C. actually brought back to the fold.

Also, how many coincidences are too many coincidences?

Maybe they didn't even expect George to get convicted because of his not following through on Johnson's assassination.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really? - scldrgnfly - 04-03-2013 03:36 PM