April 15, 1865 New York Herald's
09-16-2014, 05:41 PM
RE: April 15, 1865 New York Herald's
(09-16-2014 05:19 PM)Warren Wrote:  Thanks for this info, Rick. I've bid on what I thought were real papers, but was always outbid. I do have one that is white, non-brittle, with nothing to indicate it is a reprint (except for what I consider a weak type strike), but tonight I'll see what the insides are like.

There is a piece of Madam Surratt's hair, with COA on ebay now, but I looked at it and went, "nah".

Question - There are a lot of papers from the 16, 17, 18, etc. that turn up on ebay. Are those likely to be reprints also, or does fakery diminish with time?

Out of every 1,000 "Original April 15, 1865 New York Herald's" offered on eBay only one MIGHT be an original. I have an online atlas of originals and reprint versions -- So far I have documented 51 different reprint versions of this edition. View my atlas at http://www.historybuff.com/newspapers/assassination

Two facts you should be made aware of:

1) The pieces of famous people's hair are only about 1/8 inch long! The piece is so small there is no chance of obtaining DNA that would cost hundreds of dollars to do if it could be done.

2) COA's (Certifiate of Authenticity) can be made easier than verifying if the item is original or not. Create one on your computer printer and now it becomes "authentic" --- Right!!!!!!!!!!

I have not found any reprints of newspapers dated April 16-July 6, 1865.

Are you aware of my "Annotated Index of Newspaper Editions Known to Have Been Reprinted" monograph? It lists the 687 reprints produced between 1825 and the 1990s. Over 200 of these reprints have been offered on eBay at one time or another.

Monograph: http://www.historybuff.com/reprints/

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: April 15, 1865 New York Herald's - Hess1865 - 09-03-2014, 05:00 PM
RE: April 15, 1865 New York Herald's - historybuff22 - 09-16-2014 05:41 PM