Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions)
02-27-2013, 08:40 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions)
I've been waiting to post on this thread until I had a chance to watch the show again, pausing as needed, and looking at and listening to every minute detail, and I have to say that I continue to be utterly, utterly impressed with its accuracy, its pure entertainment power, its intelligent, coherent script and structure, and its directing and acting. Looking at it, as I do most everything, through a theatrical lens, I applaud Jesse's (via Erik and Adrian) interpretation of the character of Booth. Not only was Booth always "on" for any audience, however small, even a gathering of friends or accomplices, but his entire persona was informed from childhood by a somewhat narcissistic sense of inherited theatricality. He would have delivered every speech as if on stage, even in informal or intimate settings, and his phrasing and delivery mirrored in myriad ways the language of the florid, melodramatic and/or Shakespearean scripts he performed. Booth's offstage, personal performances were entirely in keeping with the acting style of his day, and this I thought Jesse captured brilliantly, diligently and consistently. I also want to state my admiration for the exactingly authentic aspects of those scenes that represented onstage performances, from costumes to style of fighting, to vocal and physical performances, that appear to me to be absolutely authentic to 1865, an important turning point in American theatre, just before the advent of combination companies, musicals, and (most importantly) moderated, more realistic acting (exemplified, ironically, by Edwin Booth). Also, on my most recent re-viewing I concentrated on the text that Tom Hanks speaks, and realized what a magnificent spine it provides to the entire production. The phrasing and tone of the narration, and the manner in which Hanks delivers it, tie the whole production together so very well. To everyone connected with the production, I extend my most sincere appreciation for an absolutely absorbing, compelling production. What a pleasure to watch true excellence. Dare we hope some Emmy's might be in store?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-25-2013, 12:31 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Tom Bogar - 02-27-2013 08:40 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM