Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions)
02-18-2013, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 04:02 PM by John E..)
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions)
(02-18-2013 01:29 PM)Loomings Wrote:  As for Booth's being shot, all of the dialogue is according to Conger, Baker and Doherty (independent testimonies) - including the last line: Make quick work of it, Captain! Shoot me through the heart!

Erik, the only person who testified to or gave reference to the line "Make quick work of it, Captain! Shoot me through the heart!" was Boston Corbett and he did so with some uncertainty, adding "or something to that effect" in his testimony. No one else heard Booth utter that line.

I agree with Laurie that the Booth death sequence was a bit unclear as to whether he was indeed shot through the heart. Booth was stated to have crumpled to the floor and on his back after he was hit, but as depicted, it seemed like the force of the bullet pulled him backwards, not the fact that he was instantly paralyzed.

Here's a nitpick I noticed:

You have Gardner's Single lens'd camera positioned on the right side of the window (looking out at the execution) and the stereo view from the left. The cameras should have been reversed. Judging from the photos, the single lens'd was on the left side. I am most likely in the extreme minority in picking that out. -- I'm a little too close to the material. :-)

You give a lot of credence to the Wardell autopsy photo story: I personally don't believe it. In his letter to Oldroyd (A fibber if there ever was one), Wardell says that he accompanies Gardner's assistant to develop the photo. -- He even stands with him in the dark room. Ok, here's my problem with that: Wet Plate collodion development must be done within 2 to 10 minutes of the exposure. If the collodion solution which coats the glass plate dries, it won't develop.

The autopsy photograph was taken on the Montauk which was 100 yds away from the pier. This tells me that Gardner most likely brought a portable dark room contraption with him on the Montauk. I've not seen a portable dark room large enough for two people to stand in. (I could be wrong, maybe there was one) --

The alternative is that the detective and the assistant rowed back to the pier and entered Gardner's Wagon to do the developing. How long would it take to row back to the pier from the ship, and would you risk it ?

For all those interested, here is a photo of a portable dark room:

[Image: 23391411375438.jpg]

I loved that you had the stage at Ford's covered with the green baize top. -- Excellent detail. I also thought the costumes were fantastic - especially the clothes Booth wore when he did his deed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - John E. - 02-18-2013 03:25 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-25-2013, 12:31 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM