Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions)
02-17-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions)
Here's what I just posted on IMdb:

For over fifty years, I have been intrigued with the story of the Lincoln assassination. For the past thirty-eight years, I have lived with it on a day-to-day basis as first a volunteer and then director of the Surratt House Museum in Clinton, Maryland. During that time, I have worked with researchers, authors, journalists, and a variety of film makers from the old In Search Of series, Unsolved Mysteries, History Channel productions, and more - including The Conspirator movie directed by Robert Redford.

Through those years, I have waited patiently for someone to give an accurate, detailed account based on the facts of the Lincoln conspiracy. I finally have seen the best depiction to date with Killing Lincoln. Thank you to all the writers, directors, cast members, and production staff who finally took the time to get the story right. It's an event that came at the end of a horrible war and changed the course of American history. With skillful writing, directing, and acting - and with the excellent guiding narrative by Tom Hanks, my waiting patiently has paid off. Thanks to all.

Now, for you guys: One of my worst fears in waiting to see the film was whether or not Tom Hanks would be a help or a hindrance. Even though I have been a talking head on several shows, I do not particularly like talking heads stuck in the middle of historic action. In this case, however, it was very effective. The writing of his script was very well done and served to tie everything together and to fill in missing pieces in the essence of time.

I thought Billy Campbell was excellent as Lincoln. One of my staff members who saw the premiere said that Lincoln could only hope to be as handsome as Campbell! I thought the makeup did a great job, and Mr. Campbell's mild and calm approach mimicked my idea of what Lincoln was like in person. I was also pleased with Jesse Johnson's portrayal of Booth. To me, he was almost a spitting physical image of JWB, and I appreciated his villainous portrayal - because that's what Booth was, a villain. Atzerodt was perfect. When he first appeared in that straight-on head shot, I thought that they had actually doctored the photo of him taken on the monitor.

Finally, I thought they did a remarkable job in recreating the scenes. I was viewing it on my old, small television; but my daughter was taping it for me to see later on her "IMAX." I can't wait to see it on a large screen to really appreciate the efforts that were put into recreating what I am so familiar with.

As for the nit-picking that I know we are all doing, I am only going to say that time is fleeting when you are trying to tell a story of this significance that covers a broad period and that, when done for the small screen, you are hampered by those blasted commercials. Things have to be cut somewhere. When The Conspirator was being shown, I got in the habit of telling the nay-sayers of our group that I didn't care whether or not they liked it. What counted was that it appealed to people who did not know the story. Again, I'll say that it is about teaching the younger generation and the older ones who slept through history class what has really gone on in the making of our country.

P.S. Craig - I can only guess as to why "woman" was substituted for "gal," but I suspect that it has to do with being politically correct. "Gal" may be one of those objectionable terms in modern society. Of course, I'm sure that there will be complaints that the "n" word was used also. As for Powell's scenes at the Seward home, I found them very realistic - except Betty told me that Frederick was struck only three times, not five... I guess it's all in our expectations.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - L Verge - 02-17-2013 11:51 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-25-2013, 12:31 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM
RE: Killing Lincoln - Nat Geo (Reactions) - Hess1865 - 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM