Baptist Alley and preservation
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
RE: Baptist Alley and preservation
(02-13-2013 03:23 PM)asobbingfilm Wrote:  Welcome !!! I'm certain that the amount of money needed to buy out and relocate the restaurant and do the restoration is astronomical. Ive always said if I win the lottery that I would try. Very touchy subject. Im not sure the current owners know just how important a relic they occupy is. (Or maybe they do). In any case do what I do every time I go to DC. Go to the Wok and Roll sit at the table in the window order the hot and sour soup and the orange chicken (very good BTW) and be satisfied knowing that you ate a meal at the same place more or less that Mary Surrat and other conspirators did. Sadly it may be the best you can do. If I do win the lottery and buy the place out I will have everyone over for THE party of the century when I reopen it as Mary Surratts Bar and Grille (just kidding, I will call it Mary Surratts Boarding House, think of what I could charge as a BnB).

David, I was reading the article here and noticed the last two sentences read, "Mary Surratt's boarding house on H Street has a historic plaque on it but remains a Chinese restaurant. That should be the renovators' next target."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Baptist Alley and preservation - mgambuzza - 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
RE: Baptist Alley and preservation - RJNorton - 04-09-2013 10:51 AM