A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
08-19-2012, 08:26 AM
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
(08-18-2012 09:29 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Betty: Was glancing through the book Lincoln's Avengers by Elizabeth D. Leonard-and there was reference to the skull ash tray again: "...he was described as keeping among his belongings the skull of a Union soldier, which he occasionally used as an ashtray." I don't see in the book where she obtained that information. While looking through the Notes section of the book-she does list you several times as a source for other material on Lew.

Oooohhh -- I've gone over this several times! This was taken from Doster's argument in that he was describing Powell as "one of those (meaning Confederates) who made ashtrays from the skulls of Union Soldiers...."

This was pure speculation on Doster's part in his argument. Powell didn't even smoke, as far as I know. Chewed, yes (as did most soldiers - and the bane of his dental situation!) Jim Bishop picked up on this in his NOVEL, The Day Lincoln was Shot (and yes it was a novel with created dialogue, etc.) and it has been reprinted ever since as "gospel" about Powell.

As far as I know, Powell never did any such thing. He had stated to Gillette the night before he died that the act he committed upon Seward, and for which he was extremely contrite, was the "first time he had ever knowingly ever shed human blood before." ("Last Days of Payne" - NY World, 04/03/1892)

So.....I definitely believe that the entire story was made up and perpetuated on his hapless client by Colonel William E. Doster....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character - BettyO - 08-19-2012 08:26 AM