Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
12-23-2017, 08:27 PM
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
I am not about to wade into British history in relation to the American Civil War, but please read my response above and then let me attempt to tie it all together again. IF Bobby Charlton was born in Manchester, England, and I think played for that soccer team in the mid-1900s, it ties together with Raphael Semmes and his iron clad ship, Alabama, which was built in England (maybe in Manchester?) and tried to break American blockades in getting Confederate cotton to English mills where Lincoln's embargo was killing the English industry.

Does it all tie with the Manchester workers signing a pledge to support Lincoln because they were anti-slavery?

If I have even come close, riddle me this - What man who is suspected of having ties to the kidnap/assassination of Lincoln was sent to London as a Confederate purchasing agent involved in the cotton trade? And, in 1865, what infamous American fled to a sister city of Manchester in the UK? What was the city?

Side Note - Soccer was the big sport here when I was in school because football (America's game) was outlawed in most of our schools due to too many students getting injured. I vaguely remember an airplane crash that killed most of a British soccer team; wasn't Charlton one of the sole survivors? I think this was mentioned a few years ago when an American sports team was wiped out in a similar plane crash.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 12-23-2017 08:27 PM