MCHenry House Window Pane
01-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Wink MCHenry House Window Pane
I am presently reading the book written by Louis J. Weichmann entitled "A True History of the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln", edited by Floyd E. Risvold. It's quite exhaustive in detail, and I am discovering some things which, if true, are new to me. On page 43 of the copy I have (published 1977), Weichmann goes into great detail about an inscription on a windowpane at McHenry House Hotel in Meadville, PA, where Booth had been staying in August of 1864, during a theatrical engagement. A hotel servant later found an inscription on the pane that said "Abe Lincoln departed this life August 13th, 1864, by the effects of poison". He goes on to say that the glass was removed and encased in a wooden frame, along with Booth's registration signature at the hotel. This was, according to Weichmann, presented to the War Department after the assassination by Miss Mary McHenry daughter of the proprietor of the McHenry House, and - to the date of Weichmann's writing, was still in the Government's possession. Supposedly, the handwriting was, at least in comparison to the eye, the same as Booth's.
Weichmann did not say whether the inscription was etched, or how it was put on the glass.
Having never read or heard about the windowpane until this reading, I am positive someone at this site has knowledge of this, along with the possible veracity of this artifact.
Is it still in captivity?
Is it genuine according to experts - or a hoax?

Thanks for any response.
JR Eagon
PS. If this has been discussed before, I apologize. Just let me know where I can access the prior discussion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
MCHenry House Window Pane - jreagon - 01-26-2013 04:33 PM
RE: MCHenry House Window Pane - J. Beckert - 01-26-2013, 04:41 PM
RE: MCHenry House Window Pane - jreagon - 01-26-2013, 04:48 PM
RE: MCHenry House Window Pane - jreagon - 01-27-2013, 03:02 PM
RE: MCHenry House Window Pane - RJNorton - 01-27-2013, 06:25 AM
RE: MCHenry House Window Pane - LincolnMan - 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM