The Assassin's Accomplice By Kate Clifford Larson
11-18-2012, 07:51 PM
RE: The Assassin's Accomplice By Kate Clifford Larson
Tom,

Mrs. Surratt had a very rocky marriage, but it is hard for me to believe that she did not harbor feelings for the Confederacy with a son in that army and another running courier service for them - and a very vocal, Southern, slave-holding husband.

Her husband had trained the children well. He was always listed at the top of the suspected secessionists in the reports that were done in southern Prince George's County, and we know for a fact that Surratt Tavern was listed as a safe house on the Confederate espionage route that ran from the Northern Neck into Washington. As late as the last quarter of 1864, a report listed a variety of towns where agents could seek assistance -- note that I said "towns;" in the case of Surrattsville, it did not list the town, it specifically stated "Surratt's Tavern." Mr. Surratt had been dead for two years by that time - the oldest Surratt son, Isaac, had been gone since 1861, and John was clearly busy with Confederate business and seldom home. If Mary wasn't keeping the safe house, then it must have been young Anna.

I have said this before: I transcribed Mrs. Surratt's statement back in 1979, when we were publishing the conspirators' statements in book form to sell in the gift shop. It did not take me long to realize that this woman was very cool under fire. I had the distinct feeling that she had planned her answers in advance.

Also, Marylanders were the fault line (a very important one for the safety of D.C.). They disliked Lincoln, but most favored staying in the Union from the very beginning of the secession movement. That would have tempered the fire-eaters in the State of Maryland. Those who were not happy with a more moderate approach just went South...

Ashley: Surratt House Museum is in Clinton, Maryland, ten miles south of D.C. Our website is currently waiting a remake, but visit http://www.surratt.org for info.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Assassin's Accomplice By Kate Clifford Larson - L Verge - 11-18-2012 07:51 PM