Clara Harris and Noah Brooks
02-13-2023, 06:14 AM
RE: Clara Harris and Noah Brooks
Michael, thanks for posting a link to that article.

I am still not buying it. In addition to the reasons that are in my previous post I would also offer these 3 thoughts:

(1) Offhand, I cannot think of even one reputable Lincoln assassination historian who includes this alleged first visit of Booth in his/her book.

(2) Some eyewitnesses stated that Booth handed something to Charles Forbes as he sought entry to the box. This may have been a calling card. I would therefore ask why Forbes would ask for the card if it was JWB's second request of the evening to enter the passageway behind the State Box.

Captain Theodore McGowan stated:

"I was sitting in the aisle leading by the wall toward the door of the President’s box, when a man came and disturbed me in my seat, causing me to push my chair forward to permit him to pass; he stopped about three feet from where I was sitting, and leisurely took a survey of the house. I looked at him because he happened to be in my line of sight. He took a small pack of visiting-cards from his pocket, selecting one and replacing the others, stood a second, perhaps, with it in his hand, and then showed it to the President’s messenger, who was sitting just below him. Whether the messenger took the card into the box, or, after looking at it, allowed him to go in, I do not know; but, in a moment or two more, I saw him go through the door of the lobby leading to the box and close the door."

If there had been a previous entry wouldn't McGowan have mentioned it?

(3) Most importantly, Rathbone left us with several accounts of the tragic events of April 14, 1865. This includes his testimony at the conspiracy trial. In none of his accounts does he back up what Clara Harris apparently thought she saw. I just think Harris became confused and didn't get her story straight.

Just my opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Clara Harris and Noah Brooks - gshoub - 02-12-2023, 01:14 PM
RE: Clara Harris and Noah Brooks - gshoub - 02-12-2023, 03:57 PM
RE: Clara Harris and Noah Brooks - gshoub - 02-12-2023, 05:35 PM
RE: Clara Harris and Noah Brooks - RJNorton - 02-13-2023 06:14 AM
RE: Clara Harris and Noah Brooks - Gene C - 02-13-2023, 09:56 AM
RE: Clara Harris and Noah Brooks - gshoub - 02-13-2023, 03:31 PM
RE: Clara Harris and Noah Brooks - gshoub - 02-14-2023, 12:30 PM