C. W. Young Presentation Cane whereabouts
04-23-2020, 05:52 PM
C. W. Young Presentation Cane whereabouts
Greetings,

Impressed by the knowledge viewed in everybody's postings, I came to the conclusion that this would be a great place to request some help in my quest to discover the location of a cane that has piqued my curiosity.

While doing some research pertaining to my County the following transcription of a news item in the February 12th 1861 edition of the Nevada Democrat caught my eye:

"CANE PRESENTATION-- A Springfield, Ill., correspondent, writing January 11th states that Lincoln was presented that day with an elegant gold-headed rosewood cane, valued at $250 by Jas. Churchman of Nevada, and Samuel Gamage of San Francisco, in the name of CW young of Nevada. It was a manzanita cane not Rosewood."

Whoa, I've never heard tell of this hereabouts before, and just to let you know, hereabouts equals Nevada County, California. James Churchman and C. W. Young were Pioneer citizens of this County, more precisely of Nevada City, California. Churchman had earlier on been a friend of Lincoln, back in his own days in Illinois. Charles William Young was found to have been the first person to establish a jewelry store in Nevada City.

Further research revealed other mentions of the cane, the date of presentation changing slightly, as well as how it is engraved. Following is a sample of one transcription from the book: Sixteenth President-in-Waiting: Abraham Lincoln and the Springfield Dispatches of Henry Villard, 1860 - 1861 ~ Edited by Michael Burlingame.

To ABRAHAM LINCOLN
First Republican President of the United States
From C. W. Young, Nevada City, Cal.

It was also discovered that this cane was handed down beyond Lincoln's death, to Ninian Wirt Edwards – from him it went to his son Charles - - and from Charles to his brother, Albert.

Albert Edwards was the custodian of the Lincoln Home in Springfield, and records indicate that he left items in his estate that were to go to the Lincoln Home. Beyond Albert's death, his daughters were custodians of the Lincoln Home. I would imagine that to some of you the Edwards information might already be known.

In an effort to see if the cane might possibly be at the Lincoln home, I sent an email there, but as you can no doubt guess, the current predicament we are in has erected a roadblock from learning anything via this route.

So, I'm hoping that someone might have knowledge of this cane and its present whereabouts, or a tip to where else I might obtain more clues to where the cane is now.

It is my belief that this story would be a fascinating read, to not only those in my local, but to people who have an interest in Abraham Lincoln everywhere. Thus, the present location from which I hope to obtain a picture of the cane, along with seeing precisely how it is engraved to accompany my story is the goal I have in mind.

Thanks to everyone in advance, and here's hoping this finds you well.

P.S. I should let you know that my postings might be somewhat delayed. I usually do my research from our local library, which of course is closed. The use of a touch screen tablet I am just learning to use is creating fits and ties. So, please bear with me. Thanks again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
C. W. Young Presentation Cane whereabouts - Tibackme - 04-23-2020 05:52 PM