The 1619 Project (in the New York Times Magazine)
02-01-2023, 08:28 AM
RE: The 1619 Project (in the New York Times Magazine)
This interview is so packed with information/perspectives, I must listen again.
Has anyone read Phillip Magness's book 'Colonization After Emancipation: Lincoln and the Movement for Black Resettlement'? Was it good?

Magness's book was considered controversial because his research indicates that Lincoln was a "true believer in Colonization."
Magness brought to light diplomatic records that were exchanged after the Emancipation Proclamation was effective, which show that Lincoln was serious about establishing a colony for Americans of African decent in Belize.
Lincoln's death stopped any further work to establish such a colony.

If I can share personally - I started this podcast-series because I'd spent hours digging through genealogy (any link to the Lincoln family??), and I am surprised and disappointed that much of my heritage came out of Virginia, and many owned slaves.
Will the attempt at Reparations ever come to anything? How might they be fairly paid?

PS - The interview reminds me to track down the political writings of Fredrick Law Olmstead -- I see Laurie recommended 'Confederates in the Attic' by Horwitz...
PPS - Is it possible to differentiate scholarship from dogma?

So much to read, so little time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 1619 Project (in the New York Times Magazine) - Amy L. - 02-01-2023 08:28 AM