Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
10-12-2012, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2012 10:39 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
Quote:"Lewis Paine, who had attempted the life of Secretary Seward and who had almost massacred his household, cheerfully admitted his complicity. This young giant with the defiant eyes offered no defense and expected to walk to the gallows with his head erect and a joke on his lips....But to the prison guards he was a hero, and they showed him what little favors they could under the circumstances."

Ah - I know this is from our old friend, Mr. Eisenschiml, and it sounds somewhat right to a degree. Yes, the guards did like him, but I really don't know if they did what they could to mitigate the circumstances of his imprisonment. Lew did walk to his death erect, with his head up - but he was far from making any type of joke. He walked unsupported but more or less with tears in his eyes..... I think Eisenschiml was utilizing the old canard that he was unconcerned and carefree. Not so. This was what the press generally said - although some, such as GATH, stated otherwise....

Is this what you meant?

Nothing to forgive, Bill! I own BOTH of his books!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different." - BettyO - 10-12-2012 10:36 PM