Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
08-19-2014, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 10:49 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
I have to pitch in about James Swanson. He's a good writer, but he's not really a favorite of mine when it comes to Lincoln books.

His book "Bloody Crimes" is a very interesting parallel study about the assassination and elaborate funeral of Abraham Lincoln, juxtaposed with the flight and capture of Jefferson Davis and his subsequent imprisonment. So far, so good. The book is very sympathetic to Davis, which I don't object to in principle. I am not a fan of the man, but there was admittedly a lot about him to admire. What I object to is his portrayal of MTL. Worse, he goes as far as some very unkind and inaccurate comparisons between Varina Davis and Mary Todd Lincoln...Varina was "everything MTL was not" for example. There were also striking similarities between the two Civil War First Ladies and what they endured but Swanson chooses to ignore this. He assures us all that unlike the Lincolns, the Davises had a great, transcendent love affair and that their marriage was darn near perfect.. which was frankly NOT AT ALL TRUE.

But the absolute nadir was when he criticized MTL's grief over the murder of AL, which he felt excessive and self-indulgent. He accuses her of being so self-absorbed in her own suffering at the Petersen House that she didn't think to have Tad brought to his dying father's side...and THEN only a couple of paragraphs down he describes Mary's frantic plea for Tad.."Fetch Taddie...the president loves him so!")

Confusing, no?Huh

MTL also gets the finger wagging treatment for not coming downstairs to "receive the president's body with due honors" after AL was returned to the WH on the morning of April 15 1865. Just...wow is all I can say.Sad

I have to agree with BettyO. Given a choice, I'd take Anthony Pitch or Michael Kauffman over Swanson.

MaddieM, ITA about Lewis Powell. I read that he went without food or water while he was on the run and was actually hiding in a tree, in a graveyard. The fact that he lasted as long as he did is mind boggling...he was VERY strong and disciplined!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different." - LincolnToddFan - 08-19-2014 10:43 PM