Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
08-14-2014, 04:09 PM
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
(08-14-2014 02:55 PM)BettyO Wrote:  ...didn't Powell attend school and receive what was considered a proper education at that time? I think you also mentioned to me awhile back that Powell's mother attended an all girl school in Georgia?

Thank you Herb and Paige -

Yes Powell was taught by his father who was also the local schoolmaster. His mother attended a girl's academy in Georgia. Therefore, the old story that Powell was illiterate is a definite misconception. Powell made up this story when he related after his capture that he could "neither read nor write"; this do in reference to the handwritten statement on his Oath of Allegiance "To go North of Philadelphia and remain during the war...." He didn't want to let on to the authorities that he had read the notation!

Powell read medical books at the Branson house and played chess with the other boarders. Certainly not the past times of an uncouth booby....

I should think Powell was definitely smart enough to convince those who needed convincing that he was a dumb booby. I would too, if it might save my neck, save others, or achieve my goal.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different." - MaddieM - 08-14-2014 04:09 PM