Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
08-14-2014, 11:55 AM
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
It is the fine-tuned research done by experts such as our Betty O that puts the full story of the assassination into perspective. Instead of making generalizations as to what people were like and what went on, readers can see two sides and rationalizations/explanations for what really happened. Every story has two sides, and in the case of the American Civil War, it is important to understand both sides and also the twists and turns of history that occurred.

While I do not condone assassination or murder in any circumstance, I can understand why it happens -- and I understand it much more when I know documented evidence affecting the people, places, and times in which it is committed. It also helps tremendously when I know the researchers and authors who contribute to our field. For example, mention was made of both James Swanson and Michael Kauffman. I have known them both for many years, know their style of writing, and know their goals as historians and authors. Mr. Swanson writes for the general audience who might be just starting to be interested in the Lincoln assassination. His style flows and is easy to absorb. The novice student is not loaded down with details -- and judging by the amount of visitors to Surratt House who still rave about his book and how it got them interested, his style works.

On the other hand, Mr. Kauffman is the proverbial historian's historian who delves into details and analyzes every particular as to how it fit into the overall puzzle that we call the Lincoln conspiracy. His style reflects this consummate search for new and revealing facts. Is his style too heavy for some to deal with? I have had folks tell me that; but if I need to answer a question in depth, American Brutus (and a number of other sources) would be where I turned.

I guess the purpose of this sermon is to reinforce our need to study as much as we can about the Civil War, Lincoln, the conspirators, and the era in order to have a well-rounded background before we pass judgment on anyone.

P.S. We tend to always make note of Powell beating a servant and being judged as "evil" for doing that. Why is it that we seldom hear about Dr. Mudd shooting one of his slaves in the leg for disobedience? I am not a fan of Dr. Mudd, but let's include him in the cast of those who did bad things during a very difficult time in American history.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different." - L Verge - 08-14-2014 11:55 AM