Lincoln's First Political Speech
01-27-2020, 11:21 PM
RE: Lincoln's First Political Speech
(01-27-2020 05:41 PM)Amy L. Wrote:  Thank you David and Roger for compiling all these sources; they're fun to read!

Just last night I came across this Posey-Ewing debate in Douglas Wilson's Honor's Voice.
Wilson wrote, "While not a campaign speech in his own behalf, it was offered in a political context and apparently was effectively presented and well received. ...William G. Greene says Lincoln himself spoke of this early effort. 'His first Stump Speech ever made I have heard him say was in Macon Co. ... this was no Political Speech but an Experermenter...  I have often heard [Mr. Lincoln] regret that he had no copy of it as it was Extempo.' " (p.146)

Thank you, Amy. Good work. Now, we know how much Abraham Lincoln appreciated the affect of his "first political speech." Who knows what might have been, had not Lincoln made that little speech and received the positive feedback that it engendered.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's First Political Speech - David Lockmiller - 01-27-2020 11:21 PM