Booth's Denial of Foreknowledge of the Attack on Seward
05-19-2022, 02:04 PM
RE: Booth's Denial of Foreknowledge of the Attack on Seward
Thanks John. I have several books yet to acquire and read. I'll be sure to include yours. I would not be surprised of the existence of other targets and plots, but i'm not sure multiple cells were to act simultaneously on the 14th. I believe the one Booth launched after O'Laughlen and Arnold bowed out and John Surratt conveniently left town was only going after Lincoln, Seward, and Johnson - and Grant had he attended the play with the Lincoln's. It's possible Herold may have contemplated going after Stanton before heading back towards the Kirkwood house area. I don't think Booth had another group of conspirators under his lead. Perhaps the plot to blow up the White House would have targeted the whole cabinet, but it does not seem Booth had a role in orchestrating that one. If that had successfully occurred, there would not have been a need for Booth's actions. I believe the last straw that pushed Booth to act on the 14th was Lincoln's speech suggesting Blacks should be able to vote. Booth's rashness may have derailed other plots. I have a lot more research to do before I get too confident about much of anything. More truth may be out there, but most of it has likely gone to graveyards more than a century ago.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's Denial of Foreknowledge of the Attack on Seward - Clarence - 05-19-2022 02:04 PM