Sorting out the White House Staff
06-10-2018, 04:59 AM
RE: Sorting out the White House Staff
Lincoln enjoyed kidding with the people who worked at the White House. I originally heard this story from Dave Taylor, and it has stuck with me ever since. The story was related by Tom Pendel, and it's in his book titled Thirty-Six Years in the White House.

"On one occasion, President Lincoln, when riding near the Soldiers' Home, said to his footman, named Charles Forbes, who had but recently come from Ireland, "What kind of fruit do you have in Ireland, Charles?" To which Charles replied, "Mr. President, we have a good many kinds of fruit: gooseberries, pears, apples, and the like. "The President then asked, "Have you tasted any of our American fruits?" Charles said he had not, and the President told Burke, the coachman, to drive under a persimmon tree by the roadside. Standing up in the open carriage, he pulled off some of the green fruit, giving some of it to Burke and some to Charles, with the advice that the latter try some of it. Charles, taking some of the green fruit in his hand, commenced to eat, when to his astonishment he found that he could hardly open his mouth. Trying his best to spit it out, he yelled, "Mr. President, I am poisoned! I am poisoned!" Mr. Lincoln fairly fell back in his carriage and rolled with laughter."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Sorting out the White House Staff - kerry - 06-04-2018, 07:21 PM
RE: Sorting out the White House Staff - RJNorton - 06-10-2018 04:59 AM