Another archive sale
07-11-2018, 09:55 PM
RE: Another archive sale
I have a rare photo for sale, and thought I'd post it here if it's OK. It's an original mounted composite photo of the stage and all four boxes (L & R) inside Ford's Theatre. ( I always thought that every interior photo had been taken by Brady, but according to Nicholas Pistor's "Shooting Lincoln" that isn't neccessarily so; he credits Gardner with having taken all or most of them.) THe picture has been published quite a few times in books, and I think it's in the Library of Congress. I believe mine dates back to either 1865 or shortly thereafter. There's scribbling in pencil on the obverse side that is part of the provenance. It comes with a short longhand note from Joseph Sessford (ticket seller at Ford's on the night of the assassination) to a man named Rosenberg, in which he says he has this photo and would sell it to him. From what I have been able to find out, Rosenberg was also known as Al Emmett Fostell, a well known Lincoln collector. I found the picture and note early in 1977 in the possession of a man whose father had once been a business partner of Fostell's. The image is in great shape, and slightly faded, on account of my having had it framed and displayed in my Lincoln room for a few years. I noticed the fading beginning about twelve years ago and decided to keep it in a black acid-free container, by itself. Even though it's ever-so-slightly faded, it's gorgeous. But it's time to sell it ,after 44 years. I believe that original prints of this are exceedingly rare. Anyone out there interested? Let me know and only then will I discuss terms, privately.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Another archive sale - Steve - 05-19-2018, 02:02 AM
RE: Another archive sale - LincolnMan - 05-19-2018, 06:24 AM
RE: Another archive sale - L Verge - 05-19-2018, 12:28 PM
RE: Another archive sale - emma1231 - 07-11-2018 09:55 PM